Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I’m an atheist. (Dedicated to practicing jews, christians and muslims.)

I’m a weird person because I’m an atheist.

Q. Yes? No way?

A. No way.

If I eat too much I become fat, just like you. If I bleed, my blood is red, just like yours. If I cut myself it hurts me, as it does you. If I loose someone whom I love, I’m sad just as you are. If someone whom I love becomes a dope-head, I’m concerned, just as you are. If I stupidly talk on the telephone or text while driving my car, I become liable to have a deadly accident, just as you do. If I have sex, I enjoy it just as you do. As you can easily judge, you and I are very alike human beings.

As a child I was indoctrinated and programmed by my parents and the catholic church, just as you were in your environment, and I’ve read the bible just as you have read the torah or the koran and understand what is said in that book just as you do. So, what the hell is the fundamental difference between you and I?

The difference is that you’ve read it and that I’ve read and analyzed it. I’ve indeed scrutinized every element of every anecdote and sub-story that is written in the bible. I’ve dissected every feat claimed in that book and have come to the only possible conclusion that could be reached after such work. The stories are basically written in a manner as to make you (children included) believe that a wonderful after-life truly exists in some place called heaven and to scare the shit out of you (burning hell) if you don’t. Anyone who believes whatever claim that is made in either of those books will believe that the big bad wolf did, indeed, blow down two of the three little pigs houses and that Cinderella’s carriage was really transformed into a pumpkin. Those books simply amount to a veritable similarity with children’s books. No less and no more!

Ludvig Holberg, (1684-1754), said what I’m trying to say in a better manner than I or anyone else could ever say it. Holberg criticized school doctrines in Christianity, arguing that "Children must be made into men, before they can become Christians"[6][citation needed] and "If one learns Theology, before learning to become a man, one will never become a man."[7][citation needed]

In other words, once a person has been programmed, especially at a young age, it generally becomes impossible for that person to use her faculty that should normally allow her to be able to reflect on a particular situation and to analyze it with the goal to draw her own conclusions and to make up her own mind concerning that situation. And that’s why theists will quote the stupidities found in those books when confronted with an objection to their accustomed way of thinking.

Well I sometimes enjoy quoting bible writings to you, theists, as in the following: To anti-abortion Christians, for instance, I’ll ask as to why their god saved four people from the fires of Sodom and Gomorrah and eight people from the deluge and judged it admissible and acceptable to senselessly and cruelly kill millions of innocent babies and children. It normally takes care of the argument right there and then and, if I stretch my ear a little, I can faintly hear someone mumble: “Fuck, why didn’t we think of that.”

I’m an atheist because I think! Therefore I think because I’m an atheist.

© 2012 Jean-Paul Gosselin

What do you think?


Whether you agree with or have an objection to my blog, leave a comment. I’m open to favorable or unfavorable criticism and what you write might enlighten other readers or myself.


Thank you.



Take this with you.

A little boy opened the big family bible. He was fascinated as he fingered through the old pages. Suddenly, something fell out of the Bible. He picked up the object and looked at it. What he saw was an old leaf that had been pressed in between the pages. "Mama, look what I found", the boy called out. "What have you got there, dear?" With astonishment in the young boy's voice, he answered, "I think it's Adam's underwear!"

Have a swell day, stay relaxed, have a beer and don’t forget: keep smiling. Life is good. Buena la vida. La vie est belle.



      














No comments:

Post a Comment